Can a roof coating help?
Roofing is an expensive feature for any structure, whether it is residential or commercial, and for commercial structures, it is a huge expense and undertaking. A commercial structure is usually a flat roof that requires roof coating to prevent leaks. If there is already a leak, then there is the decision to get roof coating vs replacement roofing, with the question being, which process would be the least expensive but effective.
As a commercial building owner or manager, it is important to find the best and most experienced out of all roof coating contractors in the area. While the budget is always a concern, you need to get the best job, so you aren’t having to repeat this process again too soon. Here, we have answers to some of the most common questions about roof coating and waterproofing for commercial structures. An experienced, qualified roofing contractor should be able to answer these questions and be able to provide a visible explanation.
What does roof coating do?
A roof coating is a fluid roofing membrane applied uniformly over a large surface and fully adhered to the surface. Many roof coatings have elastic properties that allow them to stretch and return, without damage, to their original shape. Roof coatings can extend the service life of commercial roofing by as much as 25 years.
When properly installed, seamless roof coatings can solve roof leaks on nearly any roofing material, with some exceptions, which can be explained in depth by experienced roof coating contractors. Those exceptions are due to the possible moisture problems and water damage that can happen when roof coating is applied.
There are many benefits to roof coating a commercial structure:
- Increased Roof Life: A properly installed roof coating will extend the lifespan of your roof by as much as ten years and with proper maintenance, including reapplying the coating, even longer.
- Reduces Energy Use: Roof coatings have emissive and reflective properties that decrease the temperature of the roof, thereby reducing energy requirements and minimizing the workload for the HVAC system.
- Aesthetic Improvement: Because replacing an aging roof can be a budget bust, a roof coating can aesthetically improve the ground level roof appearance as well as from adjacent buildings.
- Manage Microclimate: Flat roofing is subject to ponding water and roof coating can minimize, even eliminate the concern of premature deterioration as well as eventual leaking.
- Money Saver: Because roof coatings are applied directly to the existing roofing system, it is easier and faster than having a completely new roof installed.
- Reflects Heat: A roof coating will reduce energy costs and protect it from the UV rays that it is exposed to every day. The thermal shock is decreased by reducing the heat transfer, which will extend the roof’s lifespan. Maintenance costs are reduced, and the only requirement is removing debris and dirt a few times each year.
- Lightweight Product: Roof coatings are lightweight, minimizing the stress to the structure or existing roof, and yet they are durable and long-lasting.
- Durable and Reliable: Most roof coating systems can be recoated every eight to ten years, lengthening the lifespan and ensuring the heat reflection and waterproofing of their original installment.
- Productivity Untouched: When a new roof is installed, it disrupts business for both your customers and employees. The application of installing roof coating is done with very little noise or odor, enabling your business to operate as normal.
How long does roof coating last?
Typically, a thick roof coating, when applied properly, can last up to 15 years. The owner or building manager should perform annual inspection and maintenance to assure that longevity. In some areas, the climate and thickness of the roof coating could alter longevity.
How often should you coat your roof?
Commercial buildings with a flat roof will require more maintenance than a pitched roof. The number one maintenance process is roof coating, which extends the lifespan of the roof by 15 years, depending on the climate. By applying a roof coating every 5 years, it could extend that lifespan even more.
Is roof coating waterproof?
When applied properly, roof coatings are excellent, almost necessary, for flat roofs. While it will waterproof the substrates, experts do not recommend it for any areas where there is heavy, ongoing use like a deck, patios, restaurants, walkways, etc.
How much roof coating do I need?
The basic rule for roof coating is one gallon for every 100 square feet. After inspection, a roofing contractor may recommend a different amount based on the condition of the roof, the structure, and the climate and the environment. Call 513-342-8544 today for your roof coating in Cincinnati, OH.